Where will you be working?
The AMFI (Amsterdam Fashion Institute) is a part of the Faculty of Digital Media and Creative Industry. With an enthusiastic teaching team consisting of around 140 staff members, the AMFI trains students for a career in the world of fashion.
The AMFI is a fashion study programme for everyone. Our ambition is to create an environment in which all talent can be developed to the fullest, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or disability.
Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (HvA) stands for sustainable, diverse and digital and aims to be an organisation in which everyone feels welcomed, appreciated, seen and heard. As an employer, we believe that the more inclusive and sustainable we are, the better we are able to perform as a knowledge institute of and for the city. We therefore strive to see the rich diversity of backgrounds and perspectives present in Amsterdam represented in the staff and the educational and research results of our institute. No matter what your gender, age, cultural background, belief or choice of partner: we wholeheartedly invite you to apply!
Functieomschrijving & werkzaamheden
What will you be doing?
As Head of Fashion & Branding, you will lead and be responsible for roughly 450 students. You will also be operational manager of your own team of 30 – 40 professionals. Together, you will make sure there is a good working environment and effective education for students and teachers. Your position falls hierarchically and operationally under the director.
You will be responsible for students, teachers, the education and its organization including formation, planning, communication and all other activities involved. You will work closely with the other four heads and the coordinators in your team. You will be responsible for the internal dialogue and you have good organizational skills. In addition to your own managerial tasks, you are also a portfolio holder.
The AMFI has defined four areas of expertise (technology & crafts, creation & narrative, society & context and leadership & entrepreneurship) and you will be expanding the expertise area of Creation and Narrative for the three dimensions of the AMFI (Fashion & Branding, Fashion & Design, Fashion business & development).
The AMFI is currently undergoing a transformation, influenced by the structural societal changes and current and cultural issues in the fashion industry and fashion education. This means that the AMFI is involved in educational innovation and is working on a new organisational structure and culture that aligns with that. Your input on the matter is always welcome and will be appreciated!
What do you bring to the table?
- You can contribute at a high level of professional and intellectual ability and have a scientific Master’s degree.
- Your passion for fashion and research have allowed you to create a clear image of the future of the fashion industry in the hybrid fields of work of Fashion & Branding, arts, creation and commerce and you are able to translate this into innovative developments in branding and education.
- In this job, you will be managing 450 students and your team of roughly 30 – 40 people. Your capacity for uniting people means you are able to bring various involved parties together. You can empower students and teachers by knowing how to link their various needs and perspectives.
- You are responsible for the development, design, quality and updating of the education. By acting transparently and listening carefully to the various parties involved, you make sure that you motivate and inspire people and bring change.
- Your leadership style is a coaching one. That means you are able to coach, facilitate and encourage students and teachers in their individual and team development. You are empathic, which enables you to make sure that the people in your team are where they should be, empowering them and creating a safe work environment.
- We work bilingually, so you are proficient in speaking and writing both Dutch and English.
Wat bieden wij
What do we offer?
- HAY job profile of teacher/researcher 1 in Scale 12 (collective labour agreement ‘hbo’).
- A gross monthly salary of a maximum of €5,717.25 for a full-time position. The amount of the salary is dependent on education and experience.
- This is a temporary employment contract for one year with the possibility of a permanent contract after that year. The conversion to a permanent contract will take place on the basis of the conditions of the ‘hbo’ collective labour agreement (Article D-3 of that agreement).
- An extensive package of fringe benefits including generous holiday leave and a 13th month of salary.
- Excellent study and development opportunities and we feel it is important that you continue to professionalise, through our HvA Academy, for example.
- Teachers are required to have, or to obtain within a set period, a teaching qualification. The HvA offers you this course.